Caring. Compassionate. Results Oriented.

Your visitation rights are enforceable

On Behalf of | Mar 21, 2022 | Divorce

Ideally, both parents should continue to work together in raising the children if they separate. The precise split will vary according to how you determine custody.

If your co-parent ignores the custody agreement and prevents you from accessing the children, here is what you can do.

Try talking to your co-parent

Reaching out to your co-parent might help you understand why they are preventing you from seeing the children and resolve any pending differences. Dialogue can also prevent an escalation of conflict, which can negatively affect the children.

However, if the situation persists, you may need to seek legal intervention by going to court.

Enforcing your visitation rights

If your co-parent is constantly violating your rights, you can request the court enforce the custodial arrangement and uphold your visitation rights.

The court may penalize your co-parent for disobeying its orders through fines and other legal actions. In some cases, the court may modify the existing custody orders and grant you physical custody instead if it’s what works best for the children.

You need to have evidence of your claims

The court will not rely on hearsay to make any decision affecting the custody of the children. Therefore, you need to have evidence that your co-parent is not living up to the custody arrangement by denying your visitation rights. For example, communication records may help you prove your claim against your co-parent.

Keeping in mind that parental bonds with a child are formed in the early stages of growth, you need to take swift action if you think your parent-child relationship is at risk.